In order for a graduate student to be awarded a master’s degree or certificate of advanced study, the following minimum requirements must be met:
- Completion of the Application for Graduation, submitted to the Graduate School, Cleveland Hall 204, by the specified deadline. Failure to apply by the deadline date may delay the granting of the degree and may result in the omission of the student’s name from the commencement program.
- Completion of at least the minimum number of required graduate-level credit hours as determined by each academic program.
- A minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 (B grade) in all graduate coursework.
- Completion of all coursework and degree requirements within the six-year period immediately preceding the date of graduation.
- Completion of a minimum of 15 credit hours of 600- or 700-level coursework.
- Receipt by the Graduate School of official transcript(s) of approved transfer credit as listed in the note section of Degree Works. Transfer credit must meet all requirements as defined in the Transfer Credit section.
- All graduate and undergraduate courses with a grade status of I, IP, N, or X must be completed and appropriate grades submitted.
- Coursework taken to fulfill degree requirements for one degree may not be applied to an equivalent degree.
- All financial obligations to the college must be met, and all college property must be returned.
- Students who write a master’s thesis must submit the final submission of their approved theses (to be done electronically) through Digital Commons before a diploma will be issued.
- Master of Science Multidisciplinary Studies candidates must submit the final submission of their approved research methods paper and master's project to the Graduate School Office before a diploma will be issued. Students should discuss the submission process with their project adviser.
Students who do not meet the requirements for graduation by the semester for which they applied must submit a new application for graduation, in accordance with established deadlines, for the semester in which the requirements will be completed.