Chemistry Education (7–12; M.S.Ed.)
Master of Science in Education Program
Program Code: MSED-NS
Major Code: CHS
National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) Accredited
SAMC 164 (716) 878-5204
Enrollment in all teacher education programs follows the guidelines for "Admission to Teacher Education Programs" found in this catalog. Applicants who do not yet meet all admissions criteria should consult with the department.
All applicants for Professional Certification in New York State must show evidence of completing the required seminar in Harassment, Bullying, Cyberbullying, and Discrimination in Schools: Prevention and Intervention (DASA Training).
The master of science in chemistry education (7–12) is designed for teachers who wish to combine advanced work in chemistry with graduate work in education.
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.6 (4.0 scale) in chemistry courses.
- A New York State Certificate of Qualification (CQ), provisional certificate, or initial certificate to teach at the secondary level.
- A minimum of 24 credit hours of undergraduate chemistry courses, including one year of physical chemistry.
- A minimum of one year each of calculus, general physics, biology, and geosciences.
- Three letters of recommendation.
In addition, all applicants should review the Admission to a Graduate Program section in this catalog.
|Required Courses (9 credit hours)|
|Select 9 credit hours from the following:||9|
|SPECIAL TOPICS IN ORGANIC CHEMISTRY|
|ADVANCED PHYSICAL CHEMISTRY (4)|
|SPECIAL TOPICS IN INORGANIC CHEMISTRY|
|KINETICS AND REACTION MECHANISMS (4)|
|BIOMOLECULES: PROTEINS, NUCLEIC ACIDS, AND ENZYMES|
|ADVANCED ANALYTICAL CHEMISTRY|
|Science Education Courses (9 credit hours)|
|SCI 628||SEMINAR IN SECONDARY SCIENCE EDUCATION||3|
|SCI 632||CURRICULAR TRENDS IN SCIENCE TEACHING IN THE SECONDARY SCHOOL||3|
|SCI 685||EVALUATION IN SCIENCE EDUCATION||3|
|Electives (3-6 credit hours)|
|Select 3-6 credit hours||3-6|
|Research and Master's Project or Master's Thesis (6 credit hours)|
|Select one from the following: 1||6|
and RESEARCH METHODS AND TECHNIQUES IN SCIENCE EDUCATION (6)
|RESEARCH THESIS IN CHEMISTRY (6)|
|Total Credit Hours||30|