Student Complaints Regarding Distance Learning

New York State Residents

SUNY students should attempt to resolve complaints with the campus itself. However, any New York State resident who is unable to resolve the problems should contact:

State University of New York System Administration
Provost’s Office
State University Plaza
Albany, NY 12246

Non-New York State Residents

Students should try to resolve the complaint with campus personnel first. If the problem does not get resolved, students can work with an agency in their home state to have their complaint addressed. The U.S. Department of Education regulations require each state to have a process to handle complaints for all institutions in the state, except Federally run institutions (including the service academies) and tribal institutions such as tribal-controlled community colleges.

See the State Higher Education Executive Officers (SHEEO) for resources relating to state authorization of distance education. Students should contact the agency listed in their home state if they seek further assistance.