Educational Leadership (C.A.S.) - Building
Certificate of Advanced Study Program
Program Code: CAS-ED
Major Code: EDL
Elementary Education, Literacy and Educational Leadership Department
Bacon 302, (716) 878-5916
Enrollment in all teacher education programs follows the guidelines for "Admission to Teacher Education Programs" found in this catalog. Applicants who do not yet meet all admissions criteria should consult with the department.
All applicants for Professional Certification in New York State must show evidence of completing the required seminar in Harassment, Bullying, Cyberbullying, and Discrimination in Schools: Prevention and Intervention (DASA Training).
This post-master’s degree program leads to a certificate of advanced study (CAS) in educational leadership and to New York State certification of School Building Leader.
- Evidence of a valid permanent or professional certificate in classroom teaching, pupil personnel service, or administration that was issued by any state or national government (submit copy).
- A master’s degree from an accredited college or university.
- Three recommendation forms that attest to applicant’s potential as an educational leader. Department forms may be downloaded at suny.buffalostate.edu/graduateschool/admissions.
- Three years of successful teaching and/or supervisory and/or pupil personnel service experience in schools or agencies (pre-K-12).
- An interview providing evidence of successful leadership potential.
- Evidence of satisfactory verbal and written English language skills.
- Acceptable score on the Miller Analogies Test (MAT).
In addition, all applicants should review the Admission to a Graduate Program section in this catalog.
- A minimum GPA of 3.0 (4.0 scale) is required to remain in the program.
- Coursework (including transfer credit) and field and internship experiences must be completed within six years of the date of enrollment in the program.
- An application for admission to candidacy, signed by the student, the student’s academic adviser, the department chair, and the School of Education dean, must be submitted after the completion of 6 credit hours and before the completion of 12 credit hours.
- A maximum of 6 credit hours of independent study may be included in the program.
- At the completion of 24 credit hours of coursework in EDL, students may enroll in EDL 703 (Educational Leadership Internship, a 3-credit course). At the completion of the EDL 703 internship and at the completion of each field experience, a letter grade of S (Satisfactory) or U (Unsatisfactory) is awarded.
- All coursework must receive a minimum grade of C to meet program requirements.
- A maximum of 12 graduate-level credit hours may be transferred upon approval. Only grades of B or better will be accepted as transfer credit.
|Required Courses (30 cr. hrs)|
|EDL 552||PUBLIC SCHOOL LAW||3|
|EDL 559||PRINCIPLES IN CREATIVE PROBLEM SOLVING||3|
|EDL 607||SITE-BASED LEADERSHIP||3|
|EDL 612||SCHOOL BUSINESS MANAGEMENT AND FINANCE||3|
|EDL 630||CURRICULUM LEADERSHIP||3|
|EDL 631||SUPERVISION OF TEACHING||3|
|EDL 683||FACILITATION OF GROUP PROBLEM SOLVING||3|
|EDL 702||EDUCATIONAL LEADERSHIP FIELD EXPERIENCES (1 credit hour course taken 3 times for total of 3 credit hours)||3|
|EDL 703||EDUCATIONAL LEADERSHIP INTERNSHIP||3|
|EDL 704||SEMINAR IN EDUCATIONAL CHANGE||3|
|Elective (3 cr. hrs.)||3|
|Choose one from the following:|
|METHODS, THEORIES, AND MODELS OF CREATIVE LEARNING|
|ADMINISTRATION OF SPECIAL EDUCATION PROGRAMS|
|ADMINISTRATION OF PROGRAMS FOR THE YOUNG CHILD|
|SPECIAL EDUCATION LAW|
|COMPUTER APPLICATIONS IN EDUCATION ADMINISTRATION|
|PERSONNEL ADMINISTRATION IN SCHOOLS|
|Total Credit Hours||33|