International Applicants

International student degree requirements:

For admission to graduate study, international students must hold a baccalaureate degree from an institution that is accredited by an approved U.S. regional accrediting agency or a degree that is equivalent to a four-year bachelor's degree in the United States. International students must meet all admission requirements of the college.


All international applications requiring student visas must be completed by June 15 for fall admission; November 15 for spring admission; and April 1 for summer admission for all graduate programs (except Canadian applicants). Students should also be aware of the individual department application deadline when considering enrollment. In some cases, departments want applications submitted prior to the Graduate School deadlines cited above. If there are questions, contact the Graduate School for further information on deadlines.

A completed international application packet includes:

  1. A completed Online Graduate Admission Application.
  2. A $65 nonrefundable application fee. Acceptable methods of payment: Visa or MasterCard.
  3. Official or certified true copies of transcripts along with a certified English translation of all transcripts from postsecondary schools outside the United States.
  4. A copy of the applicant's passport bio page.  Passport must be current and not expired.
  5. Financial Statement (FSA-4) (.pdf)
  6. A degree evaluation. Applicants must submit official copies of postsecondary diploma(s)/transcripts to one of the following organizations for a course-by-course evaluation to determine equivalency to a United States bachelor's degree by using one of the following organizations:

Josef Silny and Associates, Inc.
International Education Consultants
7101 SW 102 Avenue
Miami, FL 33173
Phone: (305) 273-1616
Fax: (305) 273-1338

World Education Services Inc.
P.O. Box 745
Old Chelsea Station
New York, NY 10113-0745
Phone: (800) 937-3895
Fax: (212) 739-6100

Students should contact the organization or visit its website for the most current requirements and to request or download an application. Completed applications listing the SUNY Buffalo State Graduate School as the recipient should be returned to the organization with the required fees and credentials. The organization will forward its evaluation report to Buffalo State. This evaluation can take up to four weeks to complete after all documents are received. Check with the organizations for specific fee structure(s).
Canadian Applicants: Students holding undergraduate degrees from a Canadian college or university should submit official transcripts to the Graduate School. If transcripts follow a system similar to that of the United States, they will be evaluated locally. If not, Canadian applicants will be required to comply with the above international student credential policy.

7.  Applicants for whom English is a second language must submit a score of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) as documentation of English language proficiency. Applicants with a minimum TOEFL score of 550 or higher on the paper exam or 79 on the Internet exam, or with an IELTS score of 6.0 or higher will be considered for admission. 

English as a Second Language Program

International students who do not meet the required English language requirement can be admitted to the Buffalo State's Intensive English Language Institute (IELI).  Intensive English Language Institute students must complete required coursework in the English as a Second Language (ESL) program and take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) as documentation of English language proficiency.

The ESL program is a non-degree, non-credit bearing program designed to help students with varying levels of English proficiency through coursework, interaction with native speakers of English, and individualized language practice. The program consists of six levels of English language study. Each level consists of 20 hours of class time per week, plus and additional 3 hours of small conversation group practice.

Students who wish to pursue this course of action must first submit a completed graduate admission application and have their application materials reviewed by an academic department. After careful review of the students’ academic qualifications and their ability to succeed academically, the student is granted conditional acceptance into the Graduate School and admission into the IELTS. Students must notify the Graduate School within 30 days of their acceptance whether they will pursue the ESL program option. Upon successful completion of these requirements, students may then enroll as a full-time student in their program of study.

For more information and to apply to the Intensive English Language Institute IELI, contact the Office of Global Engagement. For specific questions regarding homeland security rules and regulations, student visas, and I-20 information, contact the office of International Student and Scholar Services.

Other International Student Enrollment Information

Contact the office of International Student and Scholar Services for more information about services for international students.  The office is located in South Wing 410 or the office phone number is (716) 878-5331.

Student Visas: International students must show proof of financial support for the duration of studies on the Confidential Statement of Finances form. By the time they arrive on campus, international students should have arranged for the funds to cover their college career. Payment of all college-related expenses must be made prior to the beginning of each semester.  Visit the International Student and Scholar Services website for information regarding the cost of attendance and visa requirements.

Once an applicant has been officially accepted to a degree program, the Graduate School will mail an acceptance letter.  The office of International Student and Scholar services will contact the applicant regarding the necessary I-20 paperwork to obtain a (student) via from the U.S. embassy or consulate in their home country.  

Mandatory Student Health Insurance: International students are required to purchase SUNY International Health Insurance or have comparable coverage. If a student possesses comparable health insurance, he or she is still required to purchase the medical evacuation coverage and should contact the Weigel Health Center for the current rate (unless the student's plan includes medical evacuation and repatriation). Services at the Weigel Health Center are available to all registered students free of charge regardless of insurance coverage.  Please call (716) 878-6711 for more information.

Housing: International students may live on or off campus. On campus, they may live in the international residence hall, which remains open during U.S. holidays, or in any other residence hall, provided they move out of the hall during the holidays. Visit the Residence Life Office or call (716) 878-3000 for more information.