Declaring an Academic Major

All students must declare a major before completing credits that would result in achieving "junior class level" standing (60 hours). It is recommended that all students declare a major upon completing 30 credit hours. Before declaring a major, students should seek the advice of the chair of the department or the associate dean of the school/college responsible for the major. A Change of Major form, available from the chair or the associate dean, must then be completed and sent to the Registrar’s Office. Some academic programs have special requirements that the student must meet before being admitted as a major. For example, fine arts candidates must submit a portfolio of representative work. The department chair or program coordinator can provide information on specific requirements.