Leave of Absence, Withdrawal from College

The Undergraduate Application for Leave of Absence/Withdrawal from College form can be obtained in the Academic Advisement Office, South Wing 110, (716) 878-5336, or in the student’s academic department office. Students in a major should begin the application process by conferring with their department chair. Undeclared students should meet with the coordinator of the Academic Advisement Office. Refunds of tuition, if applicable, will be made on a prorated basis as outlined for that semester. Financial aid recipients who withdraw or take a leave of absence may owe a refund of aid they received for the semester. For additional information about financial aid, refer to the financial aid section of this catalog or financialaid.buffalostate.edu/, Moot Hall 210.

Leave of Absence

Matriculated undergraduate and graduate students who wish to leave the college for academic, financial, medical, military, or personal reasons may be granted leaves of absence of one full calendar year. Leaves may be renewed one time, for a maximum absence of up to two full calendar years. Students who do not either renew their leave of absence before its expiration or register for courses for the semester after their leave expires will be deactivated as students and must apply for readmission to the college when they are interested in resuming their progress toward a degree. Upon return from a leave of absence, students will be allowed to complete the program requirements in place at the time they took the leave of absence. Students who change their majors when they return will be required to meet the curriculum of the new program in place at the time of their return. Students should seek financial aid eligibility consultation and academic advisement before registering for courses for their return semester.

If a student wishes to take a leave of absence during a semester already in progress, a Leaves of Absence form must be received in the Registrar’s Office no later than the last day of classes in that semester. A leave of absence will begin on the date a student initiates the leave of absence request; this date will be used to calculate financial aid eligibility.

Withdrawal from College

To maintain good academic standing and eligibility for readmission to the college, students finding it necessary to withdraw must do so officially. Failure to file for withdrawal will result in the recording of an E grade in each course in which the student is registered. When it is impossible to withdraw in person, it must be done in writing from the student to the dean. Students withdrawing officially with no outstanding obligations or commitments to the college are considered to be in good academic standing.

The chair and associate dean must sign the Withdrawal from College form. A request to withdraw from the college must be received in the Registrar’s Office, Moot Hall, no later than the Friday before the Critique and Evaluation Period.