Change of Grade
In case of a clerical error or other extenuating circumstance resulting in an incorrect grade, a request for a grade change must be submitted according to the following policies and procedures. This policy applies to both undergraduate and graduate students. This policy does not apply to incomplete (I), in-process (IP), grade delayed (N), grade not submitted (X), or withdrawn (W) grades. Appropriate reasons for grade changes may include but are not limited to the following:
1. Demonstrable arithmetic, editing, or factual error in calculating the grade.
2. Omission of assignments or parts of assignments in calculating the grade.
3. A grade demonstrably based on impermissible factors unrelated to student performance, such as discrimination, bias, retaliation, or retribution.
Inappropriate reasons for grade changes may include but are not limited to the following:
1. Saving a student from some academic penalty such as dismissal, probation, warning, or academic integrity problem.
2. Enabling a student to graduate.
3. Enabling a student to maintain academic eligibility for financial aid.
4. Enabling a student to graduate with academic honors or meet some other established minima.
5. Personal issues unrelated to academics.
6. Enabling a student to maintain academic eligibility for athletics or any other co-curricular activity.
7. Managing enrollment levels in order to preserve programs or revenue, or to increase retention rates.
Once a student has completed a degree, a final average for that degree is computed. Courses from that degree may not be repeated and that final average is not affected by any subsequent coursework at Buffalo State. No changes will be permitted after a student’s degree is conferred except to correct a documented college error.
The steps and time frames for each step of the student grade change process are provided in detail in the DOPS Policy 1:16:07.