In order for a graduate student to be awarded a graduate certificate, master's degree or certificate of advanced study, the following minimum requirements must be met:
- Completion and submission of the Application for Graduation in Self-Service Banner by the published deadline for desired degree conferral semester. Failure to apply by the deadline may delay the granting of the degree and may result in the omission of the student's name from the Commencement program.
- Completion of the degree requirements within the six-year period immediately preceding the date of graduation, unless a waiver is granted.
- Completion of all graduate and undergraduate courses and resolution of all courses with a grade status of I, IP, N, or X.
- Completion of ancillary courses for which the student has registered but are not required for the degree.
- Completion of at least the minimum of required graduate-level credit hours as determined by each academic program.
- Completion of a minimum of 15 credit hours of 600- or 700-level coursework.
- A minimum cumulative GPA of 3.00 (B) in all graduate coursework.
Additional requirements for degree conferral:
- Students who write a master’s thesis must submit their thesis and have it approved through the institutional repository (e.g., Digital Commons) before a diploma can be issued. Students should discuss the submission process with their thesis adviser.
- The Graduate Studies Office must receive official transcript(s) of approved transfer credit as listed in the note section of Degree Works. Transfer credit must meet all requirements as defined in the Graduate Catalog.
- Coursework taken to fulfill degree requirements for one degree may not be applied to an equivalent degree. In rare cases, double counting coursework may be permitted for equivalent degrees in different professional areas contingent on department approval.
- Students who do not meet the requirements for graduation by the semester for which they applied must submit a new Application for Graduation, in accordance with established deadlines, for the semester in which the requirements will be completed.
- Students who apply for graduation after the application deadline cannot be guaranteed a listing in the program book or participation in the Commencement ceremony.
Refer to DOPS Policy I:04:03