Eligibility for Native Americans

The U.S. Bureau of Indian Affairs offers need-based grants for college to applicants who are enrolled tribal members of an American Indian, Eskimo, or Aleut tribe, band, or group recognized by the Bureau of Indian Affairs. An application is necessary for each year of study and must be accompanied by an official needs analysis from the Financial Aid Office after submission of the FAFSA.

First-time applicants also must submit tribal enrollment certification from the bureau, agency, or tribe that records enrollment for the tribe. Applications are available from the education office of the tribe, band, or group with which you are affiliated or possess membership. For further information, contact the Bureau of Indian Education at (202) 208-6123 or www.bie.edu.

New York State also offers grants to Native Americans who are members of one of the Native American tribes located on reservations within New York State. Applications and program details may be obtained from:

The Native American Education Program Unit
State Education Department, Room 461EBA
Albany, NY 12234
(518) 474-0537.