International Students

International applicants should possess the equivalent of 12 years of elementary and secondary education and must provide evidence of proficiency in the English language and the ability to meet the financial costs of attending college. Accepted students receive an I-20 form or a DS-2019 form enabling them to obtain, respectively, an F-1 (student) visa or a J-1 visa from the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in their home country.

All international students must enroll in a group health insurance plan, United Health Care Policy, offered by Buffalo State. The premium is subject to change each year. The International Student and Scholar Services Office (ISSS) website provides information about the required policy. Students will be invoiced each August by the ISSS Office and the insurance premium must be paid to the Student Accounts Office in Moot Hall. International students must take their receipt to the ISSS Office in South 410 to show proof of payment of their United Health Care Policy and have their plan enrollment processed. Failure to do so will automatically cancel their registration.

Approximately $35,225 USD a year will be necessary to cover all college expenses. Financial bank statements are required to show financial support prior to issuing the I-20 or DS 2019. International students who reside on campus may live in any residence hall. There is a fee to remain on campus during the winter break. The ISSS Office website provides additional information.

Buffalo State is authorized under federal law to enroll nonimmigrant alien students.