Basic Writing Requirement

The college requires all matriculated undergraduate students to demonstrate college-level skills in composition.

Basic Writing Requirement for Freshmen

Entering freshmen will be placed in the appropriate writing-level course through the College Writing Program’s placement policy. Students are placed at one of the three levels:


Basic Writing Exemption

The writing program director will forward any basic writing exemptions to the registrar.

CWP 099 is a noncredit course and may not be used to meet any degree requirements. CWP 099, CWP 101, and CWP 102 will be graded on an A-through-E basis. A through D are officially passing grades; however, courses with a prerequisite of CWP 101 or CWP 102 require a C or higher in the class. This means that a student cannot enroll in CWP 102 until he or she has earned at least a C in CWP 101 (grades of C- or below do not meet the requirement) Course challenges will not be permitted.

Students who are considering taking a composition course at another institution that they expect will fulfill the Buffalo State basic writing requirement must seek prior permission from the College Writing Program director. The basic writing requirement is usually completed by the end of the sophomore year.

Basic Writing Requirement for Transfer Students

If two composition courses equivalent to CWP 101 and CWP 102 are transferred, the basic writing requirement is satisfied. If one composition course equivalent to CWP 101 is transferred, the student must complete CWP 102. If no composition courses are transferred, the student must confer with an academic adviser and follow the requirement stated for freshmen (above). Transfer students must complete the basic writing requirement within their first 45 credit hours at Buffalo State College.

Basic Writing Requirement for International Students

International students registering at Buffalo State are required to take the placement examination administered by the College Writing Program if they do not have SAT/ACT scores. They must register for the appropriate College Writing Program course(s) designated for nonnative English speakers. International students must complete the Basic Writing requirement before declaring a major. Information on these requirements and ESL instruction is available through the International Student Affairs Office, Campbell Student Union 400. Individual and group supplemental instruction in English as a Second Language is available through the Academic Skills Center, South Wing.